Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I can't keep up!

I am ruminating in my office about my inability to keep up with technology. *Gasp* And this is coming from the instructional designer/technologist. It's with that thought that I move on to wonder how our faculty do. I am amazed at several of our faculty members that spend hours of their own time trying to perfect their craft with new "whiz bang" technologies. Margaret Covington, Lisa Young, Cindy Gaspar-Rust, Janeen Curtiss....just to name a few. (It's funny that so many of them come from the field of Nursing at GateWay). How is it that I can't find the time to keep up? If this is my full-time gig, what exactly am I spending my full-time gig doing if it's not finding ways to enhance teaching and learning with "whiz bang" technologies? Where is it that my time goes? I have one theory.... I spend a good majority of my time helping faculty with design and development AND supporting our lack-luster course management system. Both of these things are extremely important -- but I am envious of my colleagues who have time to research new technologies. I do realize most of them do it on their own time.....my husband and daughter won't allow it. They are very possessive of their time with me. So, I'm coming up with a new game plan. I am calling it Technology Tuesday. Every Tuesday morning, I will dedicate about 2 hours to blogging and researching technologies. I will report back on how that works.

2 comments:

Sam said...

LOL! "Lack-luster course management system" Love that term.

suecat said...

Hey Laura,
Sometimes technology is overrated. I would like to see student's learn the material we give them and then apply it. Keep life simple. Enjoy your day - suecat