Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Making an Avatar for Course Announcements

Well, it's about time! I swear, why is it the Instructional Technologist has the hardest time making HER online courses techy? I help everyone else add glamour and style to their online or hybrid courses and I never have time to experiment with my own! Well enough! I've had it! I have vowed to add an avatar to my course announcements section every week. Currently I podcast announcements for my Mesa CC English course. The students actual listen to them! For my GateWay course, I thought I would take it a bit further and do a 1 minute announcement each week with an avatar. Maybe this will be motivational for my students? Heck, it can't hurt! I am also going to send them voice emails in conjunction with their text feedback for papers. I will let you know how it goes at any rate, here is my first avatar announcement: Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jen, sous chef said...

dang! creepy and cool all at the same time! i may have do my own recording in the future it sounds so much better than their text to sound! great one!

John L. said...

I agree with Jen; cool and creepy at the same time. I hear the voice but the avatar image is so different from the person I know. I think students would find it fun and different.

john