Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Writer's Evolution in the 21st Century

I'm not sure why, but I have had several conversations lately about teaching grammar and how students no longer know how to write. I find it interesting that most people I speak with talk about how we don't teach grammar in schools anymore -- that young people weren't taught the rules that govern the written word. I reflect back on my youth and think that I really learned most of my "grammar" in my college grammar course (which, by the way, was the hardest class I took in college). I also know that I was taught grammar throughout my K-12 experience. I recall each teacher having a different "flavor" in which they presented the content. It took me until graduate school and beyond to really blossom as a writer. I wonder why it took me so long. Was it because I wasn't taught grammar properly? I doubt that. I truly think that writing development is a maturation process facilitated by life experiences. With that said....our young writers today are very different than our older experienced writers. With text messaging, internet, and Twitter, our writers are learning new contexts for which to write. I think this is exciting because our means for communication in the written form has expanded! Unfortunately we still have people who think that technology and text messaging are the end of the world. See this article: Students Failing because of Twitter, Texting. Our students will no longer be able to write or communicate properly because they write so often in a cryptic text message code. I just think it gives us more to draw from when we teach writing. If we know they text message and Tweet all the time, let's use it to get them writing more. Teach them about writing for different contexts -- isnt' that the essence of rhetoric? Knowing your audience? I would say these young students are going to be even smarter than us because they will learn to communicate in so many different ways!

3 comments:

windygap96 said...

I agree with you Laura. I like that the new technologies encourage writing. Grasping onto the past and rejecting the current/future will get us no where. The same people made the arguments about typewriters, tv, email, video games, etc. Our engagement with our language is always evolving; always changing, it is unfortunate that our institutions do not evolve as quickly.

Laura Ballard said...

@Jen thanks for the feedback! So thoughtful...you definitely added more to my argument about this topic. Thanks!

Shelley Rodrigo said...

Laura,
I also think one of the major reasons you (and I) didn't "blossom" as writers until Grad School is because we didn't CARE about what were were writing. Until someone is invested in the purpose of their writing (getting a job, getting published, etc.), they are generally not motivated enough to really push themselves.
So, what does that say about all of our students who resent being in First Year Composition and other general education courses...if they don't want to be there, of course their writing will lack any luster!